Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Nothing Is Coming

There is so much difficult stuff going on right now that I haven't even made time to write. I think I want to do this, but I am feeling as apathetic as Morla. Though thankfully I am not currently residing in the Swamps of Sadness, but I feel like I have recently visited.


"We don't even care, whether or not we care"

I have literally made no progress on any of my goals. I have been busy tending to the home stuff, school stuff and personal stuff that writing has fallen to the wayside. I am listening to the book Quitter by Jon Acuff while working on other stuff. He is funny and I am enjoying it, but I fear in my current mood the advice is mostly bouncing off. However, one thing did stick in my head he said there is a formula to fill in and remind you what you need to do to keep you going toward what you are dreaming about doing with your life.

Do I want to _____? Then I have to _____.

He said it was easy to figure out and say, but hard to practice. So mine would look like this:

Do I want to be a writer? Then I have to write every day.

He also suggested using the time first thing in the morning before your excuses have had time to wake up to work on your dream. Then he had a very funny bit about getting up earlier. I am convinced. Trying to work on writing things after the kids have gone to bed is obviously not working for me. Dang, now I sound like Dr. Phil. So I will be trying going to bed earlier and getting up earlier. Hopefully I can beat my little early riser and get some stuff done.

What sacrifices do you make to chase your dreams? Make sure you leave a comment to say hello. Don't forget to let me know where you are visiting from so I can follow you back and see what you're up to.



Photos by Pixabay.

7 comments:

  1. I may have to print that up and post it on every wall in my house. "If you want to be a writer, then you have to write every day"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I made a poster with a nice image for me to print up and hang around my house. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Great post! So true we let life get int he way of our dreams instead of making room for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to figure out exactly what we are working toward and make room.

      Delete
  3. It's hard. I look back and remember how it was and it was hard. I spent several years fighting the "I wanna be a writer" battle. I would say I was, but I was lucky if I cranked out a poem a week, especially when I lived down in Dallas, TX. High school and college I was writing regular because of school, and I kept up with my poetry, but after college I think I became disillusioned. It was easier to just not say anything about my writing and live my life. But somewhere deep down I knew I wasn't happy. It wasn't until a really good friend handed me a book via email and told me she believed in me. Since then I am writing, editing, and reading. I cheer others on and I make new and awesome art in multiple forms. I make new friends and I still live an awesome life!!

    You can to! You will find your passion, your purpose, and when you do, the things will explode with awesome. It's never too late, and don't lose hope. I believe in you!! ~Big Dragon Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~Hey :) I try to write everyday too, but it`s almost impossible :( University life keeps clashing in and when I`m on the computer for too long, my parents say I should go out more and do something with my life (which really hurts, since I AM doing something) Found your blog from IWSG :D
    (PS, was having trouble posting this comment, so sorry if there is more than one same comment ><)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a hashtag on Twitter called #5amwritersclub that seems to be really popular. I can see the benefits of getting up early and writing first thing. Once the day starts, it's far too easy to let time get away from you.

    ReplyDelete