Sunday, February 8, 2015

Lots of no!

Quick and dirty ROW80 rundown:

1. Write 500 words per day on any project.
I don't know what happened. I said Wednesday was more sneaky and the universe must have read that as a challenge for Sunday. I have gotten nothing new done and feel like I am write-blocked, which is different from having writers block, every time I sit down at the computer. I can't even point to one thing because it has been a constant barrage of everything. I know they say if it is important you will get it done, but there are things that are more important to me. Which is probably why the first draft isn't done yet.

2. Blog at least every Wednesday and Sunday.
As I start again it it 9pm on Sunday so I am racing the clock.

3. Check out at least 10 posts from each new ROW80 linky before the next one comes out.
I only managed to get to 3. Which is not surprising considering how crazy the last few days have been.

4. Use Twitter at least once per day.
I accomplished this at least and have not spent the huge amount of time I was spending there.

5. Post on my author Facebook page at least 3 times per week.
I was able to make another post one my FB page on Friday, but it was only seen by 3 people and no one interacted with it. Oh well, that wasn't the goal, but I would like to have more engaging content.

6. Read 1 book per week.
I am reading, but not at the rate I want to be. I am now reading 3 books and haven't finished additional.

CONCLUSION: My rundown looks and makes me feel sad this check-in. Let me know in the comments what do you do when you get blocked by people or situations to make things flow smoothly again?


photo credit: 2003_06_10_077 via photopin (license)

14 comments:

  1. Don't be discouraged about the FB page..it takes time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true and I have not been trying to manage and grow my page for long. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  2. Building followers on Facebook takes a long time. Some people swear you need that page and others say FB isn't worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still on the fence. I don't know how much of a "platform" I really need now as I struggle to get my first story out of my head. The time may be better used on actually writing and then editing. Still gonna do it for now, but debating internally.

      Delete
  3. I use a timer to get myself back into writing. I set it to ten-minute intervals, and do ten mins. of whatever fun thing (games or the internet usually). Then ten minutes trying to write.

    If I can't write I sit there for ten minutes looking at what I've already written, but usually I can get at least a few words out with this process.

    Repeat as needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A timer? That is a good idea. Something so simple, but will not let you get sucked into something and not notice the time going by. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Well facebook does some strange things with our posts like deciding not to show them to all our friends! so it will take time - I have noticed that the more i put on there and the more bright shiny pictures and the more personal stuff such as comments on my day - the more facebook shares with other people

    I think the timer idea is great - I had one on my computer for a while and found it really helpful

    You have managed something most days so take that and run, some weeks I can't get my head around anything

    all the best for this coming week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I have read that Facebook has made it harder to connect with your fans unless you pay. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  5. I know this won't work for everyone, but what's really motivated me this year is to not have only daily word-count goals, but a yearly goal as well. It's really motivating to see how even a few hundred words a day can add up to big numbers.

    Other things that work for me: talking over my story or its plot with my husband or a friend, reading a book in my genre, or writing in my journal.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never thought of having a yearly word goal. I like that idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

      The talking the story over with my husband isn't so helpful because he keeps saying things like, "Oh you mean like in (insert movie or book here)." Which is always annoying because my understanding of the movie or book will be NOTHING like the story I have stuck in my head. A friend however, that is a good idea.

      Thanks so much for your helpful advice.

      Delete
  6. Try AnneRAllen.blogspot.com . It is a great writer's blog with suggestions.
    Frankly, my blog is a sounding board, thinking out loud, writing practice, Masters of Fine Arts practice and platform.
    From my experience, I think your WIP is more germane than the blog. There are a lot of benefits to blogging besides building a platform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion I will check that blog out.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks for checking me out and you are welcome anytime not just April.

      Delete